December 13, 2010
Prep time: 10 minutes to roast and mix
Total time: 20 minutes to form cookies (A fun cooking project for kids)
-1 cup rolled oats
-1 ½ cups ground nuts (nut meal): Almonds, walnuts or pecans work well
-1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
-¼ teaspoon cinnamon
-Pinch of sea salt
-¼ t. pure vanilla extract
-½ t. almond extract
-½ cup rice syrup or barley malt
-½ cup oil
1. Mix together rolled oats, nut meal and salt.
2. In a dry skillet, over medium heat, roast the mixture, stirring constantly, for five minutes or until lighly browned.
3. Stir in flour.
4. Whip syrup, oil and extracts together and stir into dry ingredients..
5. Form balls and press down into circles on oiled cookie sheet.
6. Press gently to create a well, add a little jelly.
7. Make a glaze out of 2 Tablespoons warm water and 2 Tablespoons rice syrup whipped together. Brush glaze over cookies and bake 350 degrees for 10 – 15 minutes.
Filed under: Events