February 28, 2011
Time: This takes about 10 minutes to mix together if seeds and nuts are pre-roasted, 6 or 7 minutes to cook and 5 minutes to cool down.
- 1½ cups of boxed Brown rice crispies (Erewhon makes one with healthy ingredients)
- ½ cup puffed cereal, rice, millet or oats
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts or any nuts or seeds
- ¼ cup raisons
- ½ cup rice syrup or barley malt (or ½ & ½)
- 1 table spoon of peanut butter, almond butter or tahini
- 1 tea spoon of sweet miso
- A pinch of cinnamon and few drops of pure vanilla
Mix dry ingredients. Mix and simmer wet ingredients on medium or low heat. Let cook for five minutes, do not boil. Pour over dry and mix well. Quickly press into a cake pan and let cool. Cut into squares.
To roast nuts and seeds:
Lightly roasted nuts and seeds are easiet to digest than when raw. Roast each type of nut or seed separately. Place amount desired amount, perhaps a cup or two, in a bowl, cover with cool water and quickly swirl around removing any shells. Pour off water and place in a strainer. Heat a stainless steal skillet, wipe off any excess liquid from bottom of strainer and place seeds or nuts in skillet. Reduce heat and stir, continue stirring and cooking until seeds or nuts are lighly browned and dry all the way through. Let cool completely and store in a glass container until needed.
Time: This can be made in a couple of minutes and served cool or at room temperature.
- Fruit juice or rice milk
- Ripe fruit
Preparation: Blend and drink. Avoid the tropical fruit for cold winters. Try some organic frozen blueberries or strawberries along with some overly ripe pears and or peaches. Leftover soft breakfast cereal, like oat meal can be added for thickness.
Filed under: Recipes